Attention all producers and theater companies:
Let us pay for a developmental reading of your new play!
(Writers are welcome to apply, too.)
OPEN FOR SUBMISSIONS AT LAST! You are invited to submit to the
18th Annual TRU VOICES New Plays Reading Series!
For application click this link: prs17application-rev2
Click here to return to TRU Voices Play Series information
Pay the $25 submission fee:
TRU will produce a New Plays Reading Series in June 2017 that will consist of 3-5 new works presented on consecutive Monday evenings at an Off-Broadway venue with 120 seats or more. The purpose is to:
(a) help develop new plays, and
(b) help producers develop the skills needed to produce new works.
Each reading will be followed by a “Dollars and Sense” panel discussion with prominent New York producers, general managers and artistic directors focusing on potential venues, marketing and budgeting of the work.
WHO CAN SUBMIT
• Producers are invited to submit new work that they are interested in developing.
• Theater companies are invited to submit new work that they wish to produce in the series.
• Writers are invited to submit, and are strongly encouraged to find a sponsoring producer for their work. Use this as an opportunity to form a relationship with a potential producer, for our series and perhaps for the future. We discourage writers from submitting as their own producers, unless you have had substantial experience as a producer. If necessary, TRU can assist you in finding an appropriate sponsoring producer.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES (WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR)
We are looking for a diversity of works, commercial as well as experimental or “non-traditional.”
• We are interested in shows with multi-racial significance, subject matter and/or cast. Ethnically diverse playwrights will be given special consideration.
• Plays with international (non-American) locations or themes, that deal with cultures beyond our own, are also of special interest, and may be recommended to the Midtown International Theatre Festival if you request it.
• Children’s shows are discouraged, although family shows are welcome. No musicals, please (TRU will produce a separate Musicals Readings Series in January 2018. Check our website for an announcement of when the musicals submissions period starts. We generally accept from June through September.)
• Works may be as short as 75 minutes with no maximum length. However, you must be able to present in under 90 minutes, with no more than 12 actors (doubling is acceptable). The time limit must be strictly adhered to in order to allow time for the TRU industry panel afterwards. Readings will be timed and stopped after 90 minutes.
• Work in its present form must not have had a previous professional production before a paying audience in the New York area,although substantially rewritten works may be considered.
• Works previously submitted to TRU Voices may be resubmitted by special permission - email TRUPlaySubmissions@gmail.com to inquire whether your play qualifies for resubmission. Works may also be resubmitted if substantial revisions have been made, and you must explain in a cover letter exactly what is different about this version of the play.
• If the show has a production history of any sort, you must tell us why a reading in our series will help the further development of your show in a meaningful way.
• If considered for selection, the producer/writer team will be interviewed so we can evaluate your ability to work within the monetary endowment TRU provides, and the producer's ability to produce a successful reading. Works are accepted for performance in the series based on the ability of the producer.
• Writers must let us know if you have special requirements for your show; i.e. you expect to be in it or direct it, or you are committed to a cast or a director. Since this is a producer-driven series, we like the producer to be involved in these decisions.
• TRU members may submit free of charge.
• Non-members must submit a $25 application fee, which is applicable towards our $95 annual membership. If selected for the series, at least one member of the producing/writing team must be a paid member of TRU. For more information about the benefits of TRU membership, click here
HOW TO SUBMIT
• In order to ensure a “blind” selection process, remove your name/production company from all materials, every page.
• Fill out the attached application, and submit with:
(a) one blinded copy script emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
(b) one copy of a brief synopsis (maximum one page) emailed to email@example.com
(c) one copy of a cast breakdown/production requirements (only if there are special requirements that might effect the reading)
(d) statement of purpose for having your play read in the TRU series emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
(d) $25 application fee (non-members only) - hard copy application and fee may be mailed to Theater Resources Unlimited, 309 W. 104th Street 1D, NYC NY 10025 email@example.com
(See check list on application form. Be sure all materials except the application are submitted blinded, without your name appearing anywhere, in order not to influence a reader who might know you.)
If your materials are not available electronically, email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions for sending hard copies to us. We have limited access to readers who read hard copy submissions. We no longer have the manpower to return submissions, so please do not include an SASE, as no scripts will be returned.
• Take pride in your work. Submit in a professional form, bound with a cover. No staples, paper clips or binder clips. Unbound scripts will be thrown away.
• Deadline: postmark 01/20/17 for non-members, postmark 01/27/17 for plays submitted by paid TRU members. Late deadline is also accepted for plays with a producer attached.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
• Performance space • Access to our database of actors, technicians, etc. • A panel discussion with top industry professionals • 4-color postcards promoting the entire series • Box office and reservation service • A limited monetary endowment for approved production expenses • One day of auditions for all shows, as needed
IMPORTANT: Although TRU will promote the reading series to our membership, the participating producers and writers must be actively involved in promoting this event and are ultimately responsible for audience attendance at their reading.
Questions can be emailed to TRU at email@example.com
Send submissions to:
TRU Voices Play Reading Series
Theater Resources Unlimited
309 W 104th Street, 1D
NYC NY 10025