NOLA Rehearsal Studio
244 W. 54th St., 11th fl.
Note: we are starting one hour earlier than usual so you can get home in time for the Oscars!
You meet a producer at a party, and have two minutes to interest him in your work. Do you have the skill to sell yourself? Here's a chance to practice your pitching with real producers who are open to and looking for new work. Okay, they probably won't option you on the spot, but you'll meet them and have the opportunity to start developing a relationship. And that's what this business is all about. Relationships.
I participated in TRU's Writer's Speed Date Pitch session last year, and got a LOT out of it! I found it so motivating to have a deadline to create production assets and prepare myself for meeting producers. My partner and I worked tirelessly for days before the event to make sure we were in top form before presenting (as writers) to the "producers" on hand. My experience was one of the rare occasions where several producers expressed real interest in my work. Later, one attended my reading, and followed up with a coffee meeting to talk financing. We're still in touch. Again, this is never promised, but it does happen for some of us. In my opinion, the price of $85 for all that value is a BARGAIN! ~Ed Zareh
The speed date was essential to my production, helped me learn how to communicate about my work. ~Yaakov Bressler
I've had follow-up meetings with two people I met from the event. and provided scripts to three others. I also met some fellow playwrights, and through a chain of introductions coming out of that, I'm now working on a possible film deal in Los Angeles. If you have a project where you'd like to practice and receive feedback on your pitch; potentially make some connections that would be useful for script development or early production; and meet some other playwrights -- this is an ideal opportunity. ~William Roetzheim
Click here for application. Please fill out and email to TRUStaff1@gmail.com (PLEASE - put "Speed Date" in the file name) - we already have a nearly full lineup of producers, so check them out below, and apply early!
We'll have eleven producers lined up, from both the commercial and not-for-profit worlds, all with an interest in new projects; we also may have eleven aspiring producers from our Producer Development program. So you'll be pitching to as many as 22 producers in total! Come with a willingness to learn, because the real value is the chance to practice your pitching. And you'll be getting invaluable coaching from experts, as well. And did we mention the wine and snacks afterwards?
Confirmed producers include:
- Deborah Pautler, co-founder/co-artistic director, Open Hydrant Theater Company
- Rashad Chambers, producer (It Happened in Key West, Mr. Rickey Calls a Meeting, the world premiere of The Erlkings)
- Jane Dubin, producer (Tony winning The Norman Conquests, Farinelli and the King, Bandstand, Peter and the Starcatcher, An American in Paris, Absolute Brightness of Leonard Pelkey, The 39 Steps, Ann)
- Gene Fisch, Jr., producer (High with Kathleen Turner), founder of the New York New Works Theater Festival
- William Franzblau, producer (upcoming Rocktopia, TONY Nominated Best Play Say Goodnight Gracie, American Buffalo and Wonderland on Broadway, the tour of Little House on the Prairie the Musical; off-Broadway This One's for the Girls, Sistas, Jewtopia, Evil Dead the Musical, Illuminate)
- Alexa Kelly, artistic director Pulse Ensemble Theatre
- John Melo, theater and film producer (On the Town)
- Shaun Peknic (artistic director) & Vinny Eden Ortega, (asst. artistic director), Planet Connections Festivity
- Lawrence D. Poster/Asparagus Entertainment, producer (Rags, Forbidden Broadway Comes Out Swinging, Fingers and Toes)
- Ken Waissman, producer (Grease, Torch Song Trilogy, Agnes of God, Josephine)
- Frank Zuback, producer (Taking Leave, American Soldier, Roof of the World)
- Cate Cammarata
- Samantha Saltzman
Trailing Producers: Karen Bishko, Lora Danley*, Sue Gilad* (Angels in America at the Neil Simon Theatre, Natasha, Pierre..., M. Butterfly, Disaster! The Musical, Significant Other and Doctor Zhivago; Cagney off-Broadway; upcoming The Other Josh Cohen), Ann Harson*, Richard Rizzo*, Ed Zareh* plus others to be announced
* member or graduate of TRU's Producer Development & Mentorship Program (PDMP)