Studios 353, 353 W. 48th St.
Sunday July 15th
Session 1: coaching at 4:30, pitching at 5:30
Session 2: coaching at 5:30, pitching at 6:30
(Note: we are starting one hour earlier than usual!)
Deadline to apply: Friday June 29th. (Late applications will be considered subject to availability.)
You meet a producer at a party, and have two minutes to interest him in your work. Do you have the skill to sell yourself? Here's a chance to practice your pitching with real producers who are open to and looking for new work. Okay, they probably won't option you on the spot, but you'll meet them and have the opportunity to start developing a relationship. And that's what this business is all about. Relationships.
I participated in TRU's Writer's Speed Date Pitch session last year, and got a LOT out of it! I found it so motivating to have a deadline to create production assets and prepare myself for meeting producers. My partner and I worked tirelessly for days before the event to make sure we were in top form before presenting (as writers) to the "producers" on hand. My experience was one of the rare occasions where several producers expressed real interest in my work. Later, one attended my reading, and followed up with a coffee meeting to talk financing. We're still in touch. Again, this is never promised, but it does happen for some of us. In my opinion, the price of $85 for all that value is a BARGAIN! ~Ed Zareh
The speed date was essential to my production, helped me learn how to communicate about my work. ~Yaakov Bressler
I've had follow-up meetings with two people I met from the event. and provided scripts to three others. I also met some fellow playwrights, and through a chain of introductions coming out of that, I'm now working on a possible film deal in Los Angeles. If you have a project where you'd like to practice and receive feedback on your pitch; potentially make some connections that would be useful for script development or early production; and meet some other playwrights -- this is an ideal opportunity. ~William Roetzheim
Click here for application. Please fill out and email to TRUStaff1@gmail.com (PLEASE - put "Speed Date" in the file name) - we already have a nearly full lineup of producers, so check them out below, and apply early!
We'll have eleven producers lined up, from both the commercial and not-for-profit worlds, all with an interest in new projects; we also may have eleven aspiring producers from our Producer Development program. So you'll be pitching to as many as 22 producers in total! Come with a willingness to learn, because the real value is the chance to practice your pitching. And you'll be getting invaluable coaching from experts, as well. And did we mention the wine and snacks afterwards?
Confirmed producers include:
- Margot Astrachan, producer (A Gentleman's Guide..., Ghost the musical, Around the World in 80 Days, Nice Work If You Can Get It, On a Clear Day...);
- Patrick Blake, producer (The 39 Steps, Bedlam Theatre's Hamlet/St. Joan, My Life Is a Musical, Play Dead, The Exonerated);
- William Franzblau, producer (Rocktopia, TONY Nominated Best Play Say Goodnight Gracie, American Buffalo and Wonderland on Broadway, the tour of Little House on the Prairie the Musical; off-Broadway This One's for the Girls, Sistas, Jewtopia, Evil Dead the Musical, Illuminate)
- Cooper Jordan, Producer of Live Entertainment for New York, Atlantic City and Northeast Touring Productions (The Rat Pack Undead, Dex! a killer musical);
- Cody Lassen, producer (Indecent, Significant Other, The Band's Visit);
- Lawrence D. Poster/Asparagus Entertainment, producer (Rags, Forbidden Broadway Comes Out Swinging, Fingers and Toes);
- Markus Potter - producing artistic director NewYorkRep, producer (The Velocity of Autumn, Stalking the Bogeyman);
- Shela Xoregos, artistic director of Xoregos Performing Company;
- Frank Zuback, producer (Taking Leave, American Soldier, Roof of the World)
- 2 more TBD
- Sharon Albert
- Bailie Slevin
- Gillien Goll
Trailing producers: tbd
* member or graduate of TRU's Producer Development & Mentorship Program (PDMP)